Sunday, January 11, 2009

ManU 3 - Chelsea (Nil) I Love Soccer Still !!


Having slept really late this Saturday night, I wasn't particularly keen on getting up (relatively) early this Sunday. But then a friend called and asked me to come over to watch the Manchester United and Chelsea clash with him. After having not followed, leave alone watched any football for the last few months, I was happy to let another match go by and enjoy some extra sleep time instead. But the friend persisted and called me a second time, to check if I had gotten out of bed. So, reluctantly I pulled myself out of it.

As I reached his room, he had plenty of snacks ready to see us through the match. Okay, so he made me get up early when I didn't want to but perhaps it would not be all that bad, after all.

Man U were playing at home, at the Old Trafford. A stadium which can seat more than 75,000 fans and is still packed to capacity week in and week out for every match of the premiership. For the uninitiated, the 'premiership' a.k.a. the EPL is the domestic football league in England ;) I didn't care to explain what ManU and Chelsea were because even the 'uninitiated' would know about them. And if they don't, then they ought to !!

So, the match got underway but nothing particularly exciting happened for a good part of the first half. Me and my friend, both United fans ( trust me not to share a beer with a Chelsea or an Arsenal fan) were a little disappointed to see some of the United players not really in the groove. We were already in one ;)

Some chances here and there but the trigger on this match was finally pulled, when in the injury time of the first half, Vidic gave United the lead. This was moments after United were denied a goal through Ronaldo's header. The refree didn't think they took the corner right, so it was not fair. But who cares what's fair !! All we want is to see our team win !!

But as we saw the ball go into the net a second time within seconds of the first, we were relieved to no end and felt as if the greatest justice of all had just been done. Exasperation one second, relief the next !! Just two of the huge gamut of emotions which the game's got up it's sleeve.

The second half had the prospects of some more goals. Hopefully at the right ( right - wrong) end of the pitch. As Chelsea would need to attack it would open up opportunities for United. By this time, I was totally engrossed in the match. I didn't know why I had not been doing this all these months. Well, maybe because of the semster work but now I was ready to put all of that behind me, and watch the second half !!

2 more goals came United's way in the second half. Rooney scored one and Berbatov the other. At the end of it all, United were the victors 3 to nothing. In the second half, they played much better.

It was perhaps not the greatest of displays by them, but it made me remember all the great things about the the team and the players. Ronaldo, who's got both 'right' feet. Rooney's immense power and grit. Giggs and Neville, the war horses. The now well settled Evra and Vidic, and the rock solid Van Der Saar at the back. Not a lot of stars, but the right mix of some good and a couple of special players. As my dearest friend always says, and I agree, "That's the perfect recipe to win".

The season till now has been a little wobbly for United but now they are back on track. They trail the leaders, Liverpool ( yeah, I know !! ) by 5 points with 2 games in hand. I really think the match yesterday was the turning point for them this season. They beat another serious title contender, they are in good form now, pretty much the entire squad is fit and when you can afford to put players like Carrick and Tevez on bench, you know you've got a good team.

So, here it goes Liverpool. I've said it. The 'Red Devils' are back in business and they have tasted blood too, 'Blue Blood', Chelsea's blood ;) Watch them come and take the title for a second year running !!

P. S. Red Devils Still Rule All ... All !!


No comments: